Safeguarding and Child Protection
Bullers Wood School for Boys and Bullers Wood MAT are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) – Ben Walker
Deputy DSL – Liam Thornton
The Safeguarding Policy is available below.
Matters may be addressed directly to the above people or via DSL@bwsboys.org
Students may also report concerns via the ‘Speakout Button’ or the Classcharts Wellbeing alert.
If you are worried about a child’s safety call either:
The Police 999 or 101
(If you are unable to speak use the ‘silent solution’)
The MASH (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub) team of the relevant London Borough:
Bromley – 020 8461 7373 / 7309
Greenwich – 020 8921 3172
Lewisham – 020 8314 6660
Southwark – 020 7525 1921
Croydon – 0208 726 6464
Useful information for parents:
Useful information for students:
Before calling a helpline, you might want to consider:
- What times are they open?
- Is it free to call or is there a cost involved?
- Is what you say confidential? For example, many services have policies on what to do if someone says they have attempted suicide or are actively planning to.
- What will you do if the line is busy? It’s often worth trying several times, or you might plan to call back later or try a different service.
You might be able to find this information on the organisation’s website, or you could ask the advisor to explain their policies during the call.
Support Services – general
Phone: 0800 1111
ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor for free about anything – no problem is too big or too small.
Kooth – https://www.kooth.com/
Kooth is an online mental wellbeing community. It provides a safe and confidential space to share experiences and gain support from its community and qualified professionals.
Support Services – issue specific
- Helpline: 08088025544
- For parents/carers https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/
- Phone: 0300 123 3393 (9am-6pm Monday to Friday) or text 86463
- Crisis text message service: Text THEMIX to 85258
- Webchat: through the website. (4pm – 11pm, 7 days a week)
Papyrus (Suicide prevention)
- Phone: 0800 068 4141 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm and bank holidays 2pm–10pm)
- Text: 07860039967
- Email: email@example.com
- Be Share Aware
- Remove nude images shared online | NSPCC
Think You Know
CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection)
Our school is part of the Operation Encompass project which is run jointly between schools, the London Borough of Bromley and the Metropolitan Police.
Operation Encompass is the process of the Police reporting to schools before the start of the day when a child or young person has been involved or exposed to a domestic abuse incident the previous evening. We know that children can be significantly physically or emotionally harmed when they are involved in, present or witness to, domestic violence.
The information is given in strict confidence to the Designated Safeguarding Lead to enable support to be given dependent on the needs and wishes of the child.
If you have any concerns or questions, then please contact the School Office to speak to our DSL.
Further information about the project can be found at www.operationencompass.org.
Bromley & Croydon Women’s Aid
National Domestic Abuse Helpline
- https://www.nationaldahelpline.org.uk/ (run by https://www.refuge.org.uk/)
- Phone: 0808 2000 247 – available 7 days a week
Men’s Advice Line
- Phone: 0808 801 0327
Anti Bullying Alliance – Support for students – http://www.anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/
Parent advice http://www.anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/
Kidscape – http://www.kidscape.org.uk/
Drugs & Alcohol
Frank – https://www.talktofrank.com/
Bromley Changes – https://www.changegrowlive.org
Crime, gangs & knife crime
Metropolitan Police – https://www.met.police.uk/StopKnifeCrime
Sex & relationships
Brook – https://www.brook.org.uk/
Children with family in prison
LGBT+ Switchboard – https://switchboard.lgbt/
- Phone: 0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm every day),
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Webchat: available online
Mosaic Trust – https://www.mosaictrust.org.uk/
Stonewall – https://www.youngstonewall.org.uk/
Bromley Well – https://www.bromleywell.org.uk/our-services/young-carers/
Shelter – http://england.shelter.org.uk/
Crisis – Bromley Specific
Bromley Council – Homelessness
Honor based abuse & other harmful practices (inc FGM & forced marriage)
Educate Against Hate – https://educateagainsthate.com/parents/
PACE – http://paceuk.info/
‘It’s not OK’ – http://www.itsnotokay.co.uk/
Living On – http://livingon.org.uk/
Bromley Bereavement Services (Oxleas) – http://oxleas.nhs.uk/services/service/bromley-bereavement-service/