Admissions and Appeals
Applications for Year 7 must be made using the appropriate Common Application Form via your Local Authority.
Please see the downloads section at the bottom of this page for our Admissions Policy.
Any child not offered a place will have the statutory right of appeal providing you completed an application for Bullers Wood School for Boys. If your son is due to start secondary school in September 2021 you can Appeal. For applications made in the normal admission round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. For late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 school days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 school days of the appeals being lodged.
Those wishing to appeal should register their intention by emailing Mrs McCarthy – email@example.com within 20 days of being informed that their child has not been allocated a place. All appeal letters will be acknowledged and you will be asked to complete an Admissions Appeal Form.
National Offer Day – 1st March 2021
Deadline for receipt of appeal form – 15th May 2021
Additional Information after the 15th May – You may submit additional information in support of your appeal (including medical evidence), which should be copied at least 5 times and handed to the clerk on the day of your appeal with your child’s name and school you are applying for. If you present extensive additional information on the day of the hearing, there is a risk that the proceedings might have to be adjourned.
Appeal Hearings will be heard on – tbc
The conduct of an Appeals Panel is governed by the DfE School Admission Appeals Code of Practice. This is a summary of current procedures:
- An appeal must be submitted in writing setting out the grounds on which it is made.
- Parents must be given the opportunity to attend and speak at the meeting.
- The appeal will be heard in private and be conducted in an informal atmosphere.
- Parents will receive at least 10 school days’ notice of their appeal hearing.
- The Appeal Panel will weigh-up the case submitted by the parent/carer against the case made by the school (which is normally that the school is full and to admit more pupils would cause prejudice).
- The Appeal Panel’s decision is binding on the Authority and the School.
- The clerk will try to ensure that decision letters are sent within 5 school days of the hearing wherever possible.
If you consider that the Panel acted improperly or unreasonably in handling your case you can make a complaint to:
Academy Admission Appeal Complaints
Academies Central Unit, Education Funding Agency
8th Floor, Earlsdon Park
Coventry CV1 3BH
In-Year Applications and Appeals
If you are looking for an In-Year place at Bullers Wood School for Boys please download an In Year Application from the London Borough of Bromley website.
Any child not offered a place will have the statutory right of appeal. Those wishing to appeal should register their intention of doing so by sending a letter, addressed to Mrs McCarthy – Appeal Panel, c/o Bullers Wood School for Boys, within 14 days of being informed that their child has not been allocated a place. All appeal letters will be acknowledged in writing.
Appeals will be heard within 30 school days of the appeal being lodged.